Web 2.0 is a web based storage area for applications and services. These applications and services live in the floating world of the web. One cool thing is they are not computer specific; they can be accessed from wherever and whenever! The storage tools are a great resource for educators, because they gives us a convenient place to store files without worrying about having our computer or flash drive all the time. I can see using this tool when working outside the home. For example, if I'm out of town but still need to work on documents, I can log into my web2.o tool of choice and get my work done.
One of the specific tools I explored is Scribblar.com. Scribblar is an interactive real-time multi user white board which can be used for training, tutoring, and brainstorming. Scribblar allows you to text chat and upload and share images. It also has live audio and tons of tools such as pencil drawing and highlighting. This would be a good tool to use with students who need to be absent from class for an extended period of time. If a student was out sick for a week with H1N1 and was having trouble understanding assignments, you could go to Scribblar and help the student work through the assignment. The student would be able to point out the areas they are struggling with. Parents could observe and continue to help the student at home.
I looked over a few other tools and some, I have to be honest, will need more exploring for me to better understand them. Skype seems to be pretty cool. Skype allows you to communicate with anyone in the world by allowing you to make free video calls. I can see using this tool during a unit that has to do with learning about other cultures or countries. We can connect with family members of students in class and learn about them on a more personal level.
No comments:
Post a Comment